GOV – Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

  • Building owners must provide a valid Energy Performance Certificate when building, selling or leasing commercial buildings.
  • There are only a few exceptions such as places of worship, buildings with a floor area less than 50 sq metres and temporary buildings.
  • Energy Performance Certificates can only be produced by approved and accredited commercial energy assessors.
  • Certificates have recommendations attached which list cost effective measures to improve energy efficiency in the building.
  • The cost of producing the certificate depends not so much on size but on the complexity of construction, layout and particularly heating, lighting, ventilation, cooling and hot water systems. Costs can be reduced if accurate plans and plant schedules are available.

For further information please go to: